You know those brand names which have become synonymous with the generic term for their product? Like asking for a ‘Kleenex’ instead of facial tissue or a ‘Band-Aid’ instead of a ‘plaster’. These aren’t local brands, but they’re hugely successful companies with strong band identities in the public eye. Even in South Africa, many of us will use these brand names to refer to the product itself.
What these companies have done is nail something which has set them apart from their competitors. And that’s effective, prolific brand positioning. Creating a strong brand positioning strategy doesn’t happen overnight.
You have start somewhere and we can help you. As a bespoke brand positioning agency, we’ll start by understanding your brand, your market, and your consumers. And then we’ll articulate a clear plan, using effective brand positioning services to make your brand the first thing people think of when they want what you sell.
What is brand positioning strategy?
Brand positioning strategy or positioning strategy, or brand strategy, or a brand positioning statement is the calculated approach you take to own first place in the mind of consumers. It’s more than just a tagline or a fancy logo. It’s a holistic plan, using multiple creative and tracking services, to maximise your brand’s value, distinguish your brand from the competition, and position it first in the market.
The importance of a brand positioning strategy
A brand positioning strategy is an important, nay vital, part of differentiating your brand from competitors, increasing your relevancy, and owning an increasingly larger share of the market. Without a clear and intentional brand positioning strategy, you’re likely to get lost in competitor noise and remain solidly out of your customer’s mind. Arguably, you’re as good as giving your competition the gift of associating everything desirable with them – and not your brand.
It’s akin to losing the race before you’ve even entered.
Creating a strong brand positioning strategy
It takes commitment to an invested, ongoing process to create a strong brand positioning strategy. A process that’s frequently more successful with the right brand positioning company to guide and support you in the long-term.
We’re in it from the get go, dedicating ourselves to a consistent journey with you. Our collaborative approach with contributors from across the agency and our client team, combined with a blend of smart brand positioning services will become the starting blocks to establish your brand as a market leader.
The 7 steps to creating a strong brand positioning strategy:
- Analyse yourself: Define your current position in the market by evaluating your value proposition, and your existing brand persona and voice.
- Your customers: Use brand positioning services, like market research, customer feedback, and social media data to define and understand your target customer and define who they are.
- The competition: Identify your competitors and use in-depth competitor analysis to see what their products or services are, what their strengths and weaknesses are, and understand their position in the market.
- Compare: Find out more about your competitors to spot the patterns in the market with which to compare your own position and from there define how your brand is or could be different.
- Become unique: Pinpoint your mission, values, what works best for your business objectives, and what makes you different from the rest of the market so that you can deliver what you do better than anyone else.
- A positioning statement: Create a simple and compelling sentence (or two) which boldly communicates your brand’s unique value to your customers and leaves no one in any doubt over what you do and how you do it better than anyone else.
- Testing the efficacy: Conduct market research, ask for customer feedback, and analyse social media data to test to see whether or not your positioning strategy is doing its job.
Refute the mundane, stand out from your competitors, and become the singular thought in your customers’ minds when they think about the thing that you sell. We’ll help you carve out your brand’s position today.